Tuesday 15 April 2014

Sierra Leone

People across the globe, when asked would probably come to the consensus that Sierra Leone still resembles how it looked in the movie “Blood Diamond” with an ongoing civil war, illegal diamond trading and poverty conditions that appall even the most rugged of travelers.  In the last decade Sierra Leone however has been (mostly) war free and is beginning to be seen in a more positive light. When planning my trip there I even noticed the Australian ‘smartraveller’ website places the nation in only the 3rd most dangerous alert level! 

So while exercising a ‘high degree of caution’ I booked my flight to Freetown, the nation’s capital and made sure to get my yellow fever and malaria vaccinations...just in case. Over the course of my trip I will be telling you about the places I go and hopefully showing you how worthwhile a travel destination Sierra Leone is.

Stay tuned for my next post where I will tell you about Freetown and the beautiful coastal parts around the capital.


References
  • http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Sierra_Leone
  • http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a0/ColoredBlankMap-World-10E.svg




No comments:

Post a Comment